header photo

Blog Search

Blog Archive


You Can Help

Fr. John's 2017 Tanzania Mission Trip - Day ½


8:05 a.m. EST Tuesday, January 17 - Writing from Boston's Logan International Airport, our first stop on our trip from Colorado to Tanzania.

So we all arrived at Denver International Airport by about 8:45 p.m. on Monday, January 16, with an excess of baggage due to the generosity of so many of you and others who donated so much for the people of Tanzania. The attached photos show the entire crew and all our luggage.


From left to right we are: Fr. John Ludanha, Anthony Cisneros, yours truly, Eleanor Rajotte, Christine Crabtree, Jill Stoffer, Jay Stoffer and Scott Pigg. Our JetBlue flight we were scheduled to fly as a code-share with Emirates, was delayed from its scheduled departure time of 11:25 p.m. MST to 12:15 a.m. MST. But that was well, because it meant that we had plenty of time to check in and pay an additional $175 each for two bags we had in excess of the two per passenger that our airfare allowed, plus $50 additional for a few bags that exceeded 50 pounds in weight. Then on to security, where we had a minor delay while some of us had to convince TSA personnel to let us through by transferring some personal items from one person to another. But eventually we all made it to the concourse, where we still had a two-hour wait for our delayed flight. By 12:15 a.m. we were pushing back from the gate for our four-hour flight to Boston.

I would have had a good four-hour nap on the flight, but I failed to put my iPhone in airplane mode, so it automatically changed time as we went from the Mountain Time Zone to the Eastern Time Zone. Thus, my iPhone alarm, which is always set for 4:15 a.m on Tuesday, went off at 4:15 a.m. EST, two hours after we departed. When I managed in my fog to find my phone and turn off the alarm, I thought to myself, "That was a very short 4-hr. nap!" Then I realize it was only a 2-hr. nap. We still had two hours to go on the flight, so I tried unsuccessfully to sleep for the remainder of the flight.

Now, having arrived in Boston with a 5-hr. layover here, we all went in various directions as we sought our various breakfast/snack options. At this point we still have two and a half hours before our next flight. But Anthony, Fr. John and I, who opted for Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donuts, found what Anthony calls "prime real estate" behind the Dunkin' Donuts here, meaning chairs with electrical outlets available for the three of us to use to charge and re-charge our electronic devices.

More later ... maybe from the Dubai airport, although after our scheduled 12 and a half hour flight from Boston to Dubai, we're probably just going to get through security at Dubai before it's time to board our five and a half hour flight from Dubai to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.


Louis Leonard Galvis
645 Stonington Lane
Fort Collins, CO 80525
Telephone: 970-223-4420 (O)
Mobile: 970-218-9086
E-mail: (H); (O)

Go Back